Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Heart of America Photography Convention

We just got back from our four state photography convention. Mom and I taught a class on Senior photography. The class went great with 100+ other photographers asking questions and taking notes. We were honored to be asked to teach our peers.
I of course entered in the print competition. I had no idea what would take place. Before I tell you guys how I did I have to say I feel very honored. Just so you understand a little about judging, the competition is tough. All photographers are allowed four entries. A panel of nationally approved judges score them. This process took two days since there were over 500 entries. Any score in the 70's is considered good.
This first print, titled "Miles To Go Before I Sleep" scored a 99! This is by far the highest score I have ever gotten and probably will ever get. Before this competition the highest score I had ever received was an 89. Three judges scored it an 100 and said it was perfect! It was the highest scoring print in the competition. It ended up getting the Regional Elite Award, a Regional Judge's Choice Award, first place Illustrative in Missouri, a Fuji award, the State Elite Award and a Missouri Judge's Choice Award. Wow! I was shocked.

Miles To Go Before I Sleep


I entered a Senior album of Morgan from Moberly. It scored a 95! I was shocked.
It got Best of Show out of the four states, a Fuji award four states, first place album four states and a Judge's Choice Award. For Missouri it got Best of Show, first place album and the Kodak award. Very Cool!
Morgan


This print scored 81. It didn't win anything but that was just fine with me.
Lady in Red


This was my fourth print. It scored 80 which again was just fine with me.
On the Edge


When all was said and done I ended up as Missouri's #1 Photographer Of The Year.

Megan and I standing by my first 99!


The Top Ten Photographers in Missouri. All are great friends of mine.


Posing with my awards with our great Missouri President Gerald Schlomer.


Dad, Mom, Megan and I getting together for a quick shot at the banquet.


My wife is hot!


Megan trying to help me lift the big box of my trophies.


Yep, that's me after Megan gave up on helping me out. Fun stuff.
The people at the convention teased me about taking all the awards.
All of this competition just makes me a better photographer. I'm always trying to learn and
grow. Now, my prints go on to national competition in Phoenix.


Matt Lucas
660-263-7835
www.lucasphotography.com

No comments: