Thursday, May 29, 2008

Friday Night Lights

I am going to talk about one of my favorite images that I have ever taken.

Last fall I had the honor of capturing every game for the Moberly Spartans Football team. Back in high school and college I thought about going into sports photography after realizing that I probably wouldn’t make it to the pros by my athletic ability. Further into college, I realized that portrait photography came a lot more natural for me than sports photography. After about the sixth or seventh game this season I was asked to photograph the seniors for a gift to Coach Ambrosen. I had an idea in my head about showing the entire field because it was the last year that the stadium would be there before the new stadium would be built. The only way possible to capture the entire field without getting clear back at Gratz Brown would be to photograph every player by himself. I started on the left side of the field keeping my tripod on the first lane of the track the entire time while moving down the track. As you can see the sky is blue on the left side of the image and turns to black on the right side of the image. Once I had taken all of the seniors ,the hard part started. I now had 21 images that had to be pieced together in Photoshop. With a lot of artwork and hours and hours of piecing images together, I finally came up with my image of the guys. The team did a wonderful job last year going 11-1, Moberly’s best season ever. I can’t wait until Friday nights again. I call the image Friday Night Lights.



click on the image to see it larger.
Friday Night Lights

Matt Lucas
660-263-7835
www.lucasphotography.com

No comments: